After over twenty years of faithfully upholding the traditional view, and with a pillow soaked with the tears of agonizing contemplation, I privately wrestled for ten plus years with the subject of our discussion. With complete confidence in the final authority of Scripture, I diligently searched to see "whether those things were so" (Acts 17:11). Four discoveries led to a departure from what I had always been taught: 1. I could not find Scriptural validation for the immortality of the soul, but rather abundant testimony against it. 2. I found that Scripture clearly and consistently taught that the wicked will perish, burn up, die, be destroyed, consumed, and be no more. 3. I was overwhelmed with the continual presentation of eternal, everlasting life as the gift of God given only to those in Christ, and this in constant contrast to the fate of the wicked who would finally and truly perish. 4. I was startled at how weak or contradictory our "proof-texts" were for en...
Comments
Post a Comment
Thoughts?